Changes to the national immunisation schedule will begin to take effect from 1 July 2020, and be completed on 1 October 2020, at which point a new vaccination event at age 12 months will be created.
Reducing the number of PCV10 primary course doses
- PCV10 (Synflorix) is moving to a 2 +1 schedule.
- This means PCV10 (Synflorix) is not required at the 3-month immunisation event.
- A two-dose primary course will be given at ages 6 weeks and 5 months.
- The booster dose remains unchanged.
Vaccine brand changes
- Engerix-B 20 (20 micrograms/mL) replaces HBVaxPro (5mcg, 10 mcg & 40mcg).
- Varivax replaces Varilrix at the 15-month and 11-year event, and for Special Groups from 12 months of age.
- Boostrix (Tdap) replaces ADT booster for people aged 7 years and over.
- Current vaccine stock is to be used up before the new brands will be distributed.
- Download the Ministry of Health immunisation update (PDF) for June 2020.
- Download an IMAC factsheet (PDF) with more details.
- Download a copy of the schedule card (PDF) showing the changes.
- On 9 June 2020 the Immunisation Advisory Centre hosted a webinar about the changes. The 2020 immunisation schedule changes webinar is now available online for people who were unable to attend the live session.